Thursday, November 5, 2009

On to a more positive post...

Just thinking today about how blessed I am to be a mom to 2 beautiful little girls! I get so frustrated sometimes, when Abby talks back hatefully or when Phoebe slaps the spoon full of smashed green "booger peas" out of my hand. (My sister-in-law, Amber, uses that phrase regularly and I laugh to the point of crying when she actually says it in normal conversation...Anyway---I digress!) I get down on myself a lot, worrying about the future and wondering if my girls are going to turn out to be completely disrespectful and moody. And asking myself why I have two of the most STUBBORN children on this earth! But recently I've been thinking about the time that we live in, where there is so much around us that could lead us away from the things that are right--those things that can make us truly happy. And I've realized that ALL the children coming to this earth right now HAVE to be stubborn---if they aren't, they can't stand up for themselves and what is right--OUR privilege, as parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, teachers and leaders is to guide that stubborness and strength in the right direction, so our kids can be strong forces for GOOD, instead of going the other way! And especially in Phoebe's case, she's gonna NEED that stubborn attitude to get through the physical limitations that she will have for awhile!
So bring on the strong-willed kids! I can take it if it means they will be good, honest, hard-working members of a society that they will actually contribute to...I can take it if they will have the guts to stand up for themselves and what is right...I can take it if it means they will live happy lives because they know how to push through tribulation and be successful...HEY! I guess that means I'm stubborn enough to get through these tough and joyous times raising children! Go figure! You learn something new everyday...

5 comments:

The Sorensen Bunch said...

your NEVER stubborn...ha ha ha. I say AMEN to everything you said!EVERYTHING!!!! Hey check out my blog to see your dorothy!

Meredith said...

I have a very stubborn one too! My aunt always says that if I can steer that stubbornness in the right direction I've got nothing to worry about.

Charlotte King said...

It's called Steadfast, not stubborn. And I should know.

Erin said...

Yes, you should, Charlotte! And thank you for giving me the word I was trying to remember!!!!

Unknown said...

I seem to remember a little girl, myself, who was very steadfast, and stubborn, who has turned out to be a most wonderful mother to two of the sweetest little girls I know! I love you all!!! Mom