Monday, May 4, 2009

"Massive Head-Wound Harry"-I mean Josh!

Awhile back, Josh noticed that he had a bump on the back of his head. He talked to our ENT friend and Dan told him not to worry about it unless it was bothering him. Well a few months ago, it started to bug him and then it started to hurt. He decided (with a little help from is oh so subtle wife-that's ME;0) that it was time to get it looked at, and was told that he should get it removed even though it didn't appear to be problematic. So last Friday, Josh had a little "surgery" to remove his 50-cent piece-sized lump. I took him and sat in the wating area of the general surgeon's office for a grand total of 20 minutes while they numbed his head and removed the cyst right in the office. We weren't worried, but he was nervous, so I was glad to see a smile on his face when he was done! I couldn't help but laugh, though, when I saw this...

...especially knowing that two days later, he was planning to be at church conducting the meeting! (He didn't go, by the way, but opted to stay home and rest a little more in preparation for his long week at work!)

I've been calling him "Massive Head Wound Harry" from that SNL skit about a guy who walks around with this nasty uncovered head wound, not understanding why everyone who sees him is grossing out! But don't you see a little bit of an Burt and Ernie combination there too? Yeah, I was laughing, but as you will read, not for long...

The day after the "Great Removal", the dressing had to be changed. And the doctor had decided not to do stitches to allow it to "heal from the inside out, so there would be less chance of it coming back", so he "packed" it with gauze. Use your imaginations, friends, but don't think about it too hard or you might hit the floor before you can finish reading the story!

Anyway, so I decided to make the attempt at changing the dressing. Josh was all gung ho and wanted to watch until we removed the outer wrapping and he saw what was on it. Now many of you know that Josh has a weak stomach in certain "situations" (poor guy) and at that sight, he had to "take a moment" (or 10, maybe 15) and regain his bearings;0) I didn't laugh much, but expressed full concern for him;0) I was fine at that point, feeling secure that I could handle it. So he laid down on the bed listening to the ipod and reading a magazine...anything to distract himself, and I took off the rest of the outer bandaging and made the attempt...well...it didn't take me long to realize this was NOT going to happen, because within one minute of pulling, I had to stop, put MY head between MY knees and lay down on the other side of the bed myself, moving the hurricane fan toward me and taking it off of Josh! He chuckled a little, but to give him full credit, he was concerned about me as well! It only took me 2 or 3 minutes of deep breathing to be okay, but we had to laugh at the situation! And as soon as I was okay, we put the outer dressing back on and decided to go another direction....

We finally had to get our neighbor, who is a nurse, to come over and change it and she was GREAT! I don't know how she does it! Then yesterday, my brother, Boo did it, with my mom as his "nurse"!

We've realized that we are way too much alike in a lot of areas! I guess we really are perfect for each other...even though being alike didn't really HELP this situation!

By the way, Josh is fine and except for the fact that he will probably still be wearing bandages on his head next Sunday at church, all is well with him! It's been a crazy couple of weeks, but we can handle it! So Massive Head Wound Harry lives on for a little while longer...and so does the teasing..."Did you forget to wear your helmet?" (NOT funny)..."It's John McEnroe! Where are your arm sweat bands?"..."Hey! Flashdance! or Solid Gold dancer!"...and my favorite..."Man! Did your WIFE do that to you?!"

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh man.. this reminds me of after my c-section with the boys, my wound developed a hematoma, and it had to be packed with gauze daily... it was really really deep, and it HURT.. the insurance company wanted ABINADI to do it. They paid for ONE nurse to come out ONCE and do it and then Abinadi or some other family member had to do it from then on out. The nurse took one look at it and said, "UM, I don't want to do this" and sent me to the doctor where I ended up going every day for the next 4 weeks. The insurance didn't even pay for that one visit... $175 for NOTHING! Lucky you had nursey friends... :) Love keeping up with you by the way! Your kids are adorable! My friend's son LOVES Shriners (he was born with one leg shorter.. they eventually amputated the foot and now he has a prosthetic... but Jane said Shriners is amazing)

Unknown said...

Yeah, sorry for the book.. :)

The Sorensen Bunch said...

ha ha ha Dan told me some NASTY stories when he was in wound care--they have PT's do it in the hospital at times N-A-S-T-Y!!!

hippymom74 said...

This is just so funny! I just have such a funny mental picture about all of this:) I love reading your blog!

alisa said...

Hope Josh is feeling better! Your blog cracked me up....I have such a weak stomach....I could have never changed the bandage! Yikes!! Hang in there guys! Oh, and the video with the balloon is hilarious. Made my day!

w_layne_h said...

massive head wound harry!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heidi Johansen: Jolly Blogger said...

I laughed and laughed with the thought of you two about to hit the floor , breathing and distracting yourselves to see it through. I hope it is a quick recovery and love how something so bothersome can become fraught with humor thanks to the fun attitude applied to it!:) Funny stuff-love the tennis comments.

Alison said...

What a funny story! I would have been on the floor passed out too. I'm so glad you found some help and that Josh is doing well. I love and miss you guys so much and can't wait to see you in a few weeks.

Lynn Barry said...

I am glad Josh is ok! Cute video.
love ya

Scott said...

That is hilarious! Hope Harry and Phoebe are doing well.

kk Leilani said...

you guys are hilair. much love