Sunday, June 15, 2008

He makes weak things become strong!


Today has been a very special day for our family! Josh was sustained and set apart to be the Bishop of the Florence SC Ward today! Some of you may be thinking, "HUH?!" and you'd be feeling just about the same as I was on Monday night, when we got the call from my Dad, who is the Stake Executive Secretary, telling us that the Stake President wanted to see both of us on Wednesday at noon. Of course we knew that our Bishop had gotten a new job in Colorado and would need to be released, but who ever dreams they could actually get called to be a Bishop, especially at 31 years old!

So here we go....As soon as we finished our interview Wednesday, we were on the phone to Josh's parents and siblings to let them know and ask if they could drive down to be here for the setting apart (they did, of course and we had a BLAST! Thanks, guys! Love y'all!)

It was definitely hard to keep it a secret...we have a particularly chatty and speculative ward, though surprisingly, it was worse with the MEN than the women! Gotta love 'em! But we managed to keep it from all but the closest of family...

I'm so proud of Josh. He was born on Father's Day 32 years ago, and today he was sustained as a bishop! What a great Father's Day for him...very overwhelming for both of us, but wonderful.

In Sacrament Meeting, he was sustained by the ward and bore his testimony (I was so impressed with his way with words and how he listened to the Spirit as he said what I believe to be just what our ward needed to hear!) I couldn't help thinking as he sat on the stand that he seemed to look a little older! (In a good way! Those of you who know him know that he really has a baby face and looks to be about 15 years old...I say he aged to about 20 today;0) After the meeting, His dad ordained him a High Priest and then the Stake President ordained and set him apart as the bishop. What a special blessing he received, and I firmly believe that he and our family will be blessed beyond measure for this service he (and we) will give the Lord here in the Florence area.

I'm sure I'll post more about it later, and just ask if you have questions, especially those who may not be members of our church! It can all be a little confusing...

I welcome your comments, but let them be positive! I got way too many "I'm sorry"s and sarcastic "Good luck"s and even a few, "Kiss you're husband, because you won't be seeing him for a while!"s from people today...UGH! Is that supposed to ENCOURAGE me?! I enjoyed the hugs, smiles, "We'll be praying for you"s, "Let me know if you need any help"s and "We support you"s much more!

Love to you all!

PS-Sorry if this post sounds a little more formal than you might be used to hearing from me...I'm kind of in that mood, I guess...;0) Just a little in shock I think...;0) Oh, and the pic is from May, but I thought it would fit since it's outside our church building and you can see what he looks like in his suit!

14 comments:

melissa knudsen said...

CONGRATS!! crazy but great. josh you will do a great job. jason is afraid of the same thing and he is happy he is in school so they can't call him to that. wow!! so excited. you will be great.

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Happy FATHERS DAY!!!! What a DAY!!! You will NEVER forget this one! ALways knew Josh was a good catch--no doubt he will be super!! Now you are a Bishop's wife!!! and of course I am biased in that dept. as well, serving with you on a mission I got to see that'spiritual' side most the time. Not only are you spiritual but you are real and people will feel closer and be led by you for that reason! BIG things in store for your family-babies, bishops...who knows what else!!? I am glad you have family close enough-- on those busy, don;t see Josh kinda days (this is positive really--you have help!) I love you and your man-Happy DAY!!!

mommyamy98 said...

Great news! Josh will be a great bishop. Love and miss you guys.

Dan, Amy, Dan, Ariel, Jazmine, Kourtnie, & Dylan

Angie said...

Wow! What a shocker for you. Awfully young, but the Lord knows what you can handle, and I know you guys will be a great strength for your ward.

Lynn Barry said...

I could not be more proud of Josh...I remember 32 years ago...the boy born on father's day and how special it was...and now this honor bestowed on father's day...and the greatest thing is the love that comes through this blog entry...and wife for her husband...the pride and the respect and the joy...CONGRATS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!!! Love ya...

dianeandkenholmes said...

Wow! Congratulation Josh!
This is Sister Diane Anderson Holmes, remember me?
I am so excited for you, and it is great to see you have a blog, as our family does.
Miss all your family always!
May the Lord bless you.

Natalie said...

Congratulations! Janie shared your blog with us so that we could read your news. We are the family that stayed with Heidi & Aarron last year.
Josh will be a fantastic Bishop and we are sure that many lives will be blessed through his leadership.
Also, congrats on the new baby coming, 2 is a wonderful number. It can be crazy at times, but it is definitely fun.

-Michael, Natalie,
Tanner & Gavin Stone

Adam and Ann Watkins said...

One word....AWSEOME! Adam and I were so glad that we got to be there. Sad that we missed the setting apart...we were in the same foyer as Boo and Ben.

Sarah B. said...

Congrats! Josh and Erin. You will be a great Bishop Josh, just like your dad.

Love,
Brother and Sister Barksdale

Charie and Jonathan Francom said...

WHOA-A! Holy canoli!

When do I get to meet this great husband of yours :)

Paper Blizzard Story said...

Oh that is so awesome! Josh, you will be such a blessing to your ward and Erin you are fantastic for being willing to support him. We are excited for you guys!

Just a little thought...When my dad was Bishop he and my mom would take a trip once every three months on a weekend and ALWAYS over a Sunday so they could have some time together. Just to keep the connection alive and to keep them close b/c there are a lot of time demands. You guys will be awesome!

The Stahlnecker's said...

Congrats, to your family ∞ from ours! I found out yesterday "the Big News" from my mother-n-law (Sandra Stahlnecker.) Then, I checked my e-mail tonight and found out about your family blog from Josh's mom. So, I just had to leave a comment. Ed, Sandy and Eddie were all very happy to hear the news and they all said what a great Bishop you will be. ☼ You are in our thoughts and prayers.
♥☺♥☺♥☺♥☺♥☺♥☺♥☺♥☺♥☺
~The Stahlnecker's~
Ed, Sandy, Eddie and Tressa.

HENDERSONYAN, INC. said...

Wow, congratulations Josh. I am sure you are very fit for the position. And you too Erin! That's just great!

Tina (Hickman) Ottley said...

I think like many callings (and difficult things in general) it will be the biggest burden as well as the biggest blessing in your life! I think it is wonderful.
Tina