Friday, April 18, 2008

What can you do?

A couple of weeks ago, my sister-in-law, Amber and I took our girls to see my sister, Sarah, participate in Special Olympics! It was very cloudy and threatened rain the whole time, but we perservered and had some fun! Sarah (who has Down Syndrome and just turned 25) got to throw the tennis ball and walk in both the 50 meter walk and the 100 meter walk. She got "third first place" ;o) in all three and had a BLAST! It's actually an amazing accomplishment for her to go as fast as she did, considering the fact that she has had about 8 or so hip surgeries and 3 or 4 foot surgeries in her lifetime! I didn't get very many good pics, but here's one of her waving to me from the start line for the 50 meter walkand one of her about to cross the finish line in that same race! (She's of course, the short one in the green shirt and Clemson hat-she LOVES Clemson! And beside her is her VERY energetic, big-haired, volunteer friend, who helped her along-she was great!) I love Sarah so much! She's the best!


Consequently, Abby had a blast herself! There were balloons and huge puddles of clear water in all the grassy areas. And once she jumped in the biggest one one time, I figured, "What the heck?!" and let her keep jumping. People around me were laughing mostly, but of course there were the token few, mostly older women, who gave me those sour, disapproving looks. I mean, for real! What else am I gonna do?;0) It was hilarious and of course, when I pulled out the camera and she saw it, she immediately gave me that perfect "CHEESE!" and here's what we got!


We didn't stay the whole time, because grumpiness was becoming more prevalent (mostly with Amber and I, who had forgotten to bring camp chairs, so we were walking and standing the whole time, chasing Abby and HOLDING Myah-also no stroller-What were we THINKING?), but it was a fun, exhausting morning that we will never forget! Sometimes you just have to laugh, huh?

3 comments:

The Sorensen Bunch said...

Back Eye PEAS!!!! Rock on!!!

The Sorensen Bunch said...

I meant BLACK

Tina (Hickman) Ottley said...

I get those charming looks from people all the time! Especially in church. I'm like, it's almost 4 o'clock, she is three hours past her nap time! I think she is doing ok. Dang rude people. I just ignore them.